If you are a student in grades 8-12 and love History, please apply to the Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History’s Student Advisory Council. They meet monthly on a Saturday from 1-2 pm via Zoom. This year, the group has included over 180 students who have benefitted from the following:
- Meetings dedicated to a close look at historical documents from Eliza Hamilton, Zitkala-Ša, Bayard Rustin, Abraham Lincoln, Henry Gannett, and Tom Olin.
- Guest Speakers included the Broadway cast of Hamilton, Jasmine Brown on her new text “Twice as Hard: The Stories of Black Women Who Fought to Become Physicians,” Dixe Schillaci on her experiences as a CIA Agent and a current White House Speech Writer on Foreign Policy, and General Michelle Johnson on her esteemed career serving in our nation’s air force.
- Invitations to events such as Annette Gordon-Reed’s “book talk” about “On Juneteenth” and the Lincoln Prize honoring Civil War Historians Jon Meacham and Jonathan W. White.
- Information about scholarships to History summer camp programs, Gettysburg/Marist College, and the David McCullough Essay Prize (with a grand prize of S10,000)
- Student presentations on their National History Day Projects.
- SAC Alums share college advice and what studying History/Social Sciences/Humanities at top colleges nationwide is like.